Male
Number of posts : 32
Badges :
Friend Code : Sun: 3626-1327-9071
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am

I was thinking we could use a "Ranking System"
Every member would be assigned a "level" or "rank" from 1 to 5

The ranking system would allow people to view your status and ability as a trainer. Its not for bragging rights or anything, it actually can help when we are setting opponents for tournaments where we can let lower ranking members battle other lower ranking members.

ex:

Lvl 1 (Beginner)

Lvl 2 (Good)

Lvl 3 (Average)

Lvl 4 (Strong)

Lvl 5 (Very Strong)

This is just an idea. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe
Trainer
Trainer

Male
Number of posts : 368
Badges :
Friend Code : Gen 5 (Black):4298-2782-6321

Gen 5 (Black 2):1850 9848 4069
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 am

Can I be lvl 4?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gates
Elite 4

Male
Number of posts : 439
Ribbons : Water/Psychic E4

Friend Code : White 2: 4599 7402 6728
SSB: 5284-2554-0925
Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I actually think this is a decent idea and should be taken into consideration. Of course it can be used for egotistical purposes but I think those who are looking for a competitive battle scene can just check out how many stars a member has when they're in the mood for a more serious battle and sort out battle times instead of waiting around the chat box and hoping for a battle from whoever drops in like a helpless coke fiend. Just my two cents anyways. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mercury

Male
Number of posts : 552
Friend Code : Platinum FC-1548 5398 5890
Pearl FC-0990 1089 5394
SSBB-2278 0801 1238
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Not a bad idea, but choosing who is in what level could be quite tricky, and some people could be offended if they get placed quite low. I imagine it could be done with some proper organisation and a kind of league set up so people can move between ranks and whatnot, but that could get pretty complicated.
But the concept is good, and with more thought could be put into play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrono
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1504
Ribbons :
Friend Code : 0000 0000 0000
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Hmmm I don't think you should be able to chose your own ranking... if we do this we should have testers who will battle you and rank you based on your ability, you can obviously move up and down, after a certain amount of time waiting you can get re-tested. OR if by rumors you get a good one you can move up a rank Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pawn
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Male
Number of posts : 715
Symbols :
Friend Code : 0432 5553 5950 - diamond
0819 3370 9446 - white
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:08 pm

RANK 1! Very Happy possibly 2 >.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1901
Ribbons : Fire/Grass E4

Friend Code : SoulSilver
0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373
Registration date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 pm

This is probably a pretty good idea. It would give people a reason to improve their battle skills but who would be the one to test everyone?

Much Doge. Wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrono
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1504
Ribbons :
Friend Code : 0000 0000 0000
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 am

I think the 3 elected testers that the forum has will test everyone and you only have to battle one 3 times? to save time. The tester will give you your rank and you will be given it. Every month? you can get re-tested? every 2 months? i dunno.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Poke Master Amr
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover

Male
Number of posts : 200
Friend Code : 2493 8427 1269
Registration date : 2011-08-09

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:13 pm

I think we should get good battlers, preferably mentors or gym leaders as testers
I think we should have it so that you do 3 different teams to give different opinions on adaption
Stars should also be affected by different things like for example to be a certain rating you need 4 gym badges
to have 4 stars u need 1 elite four badge, that way it shows you have experience
but yeah i like this idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoneQuincy
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover

Male
Number of posts : 180
Friend Code : White: 3697-5947-3122
Registration date : 2010-07-22

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:04 pm

I think maybe 1 star per 2 badges, then the 5th upon completion of the E4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gates
Elite 4

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 am

Earning a gym badge =/= skill, its mostly just an extra activity we offer for members to have fun with. Anybody can Gen a perfect counter team to somebody using six pokes of the same type, or bring a counter team to a rematch after seeing their team the first time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoneQuincy
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 am

I'd like to think we'd have gym leaders capable of adapting to the different circumstances brought by various challengers' teams, but if this doesn't please you then how about do it by win % vs how many battles are had. Like maybe dedicate a thread to keeping tabs on it. Let members decide if they want a ranked match or just a free game, then post the results of their ranked matches. Off the top of my head I'm thinking:
1-Star: 0-25%
2-Stars: 26-48%
3-Stars: 49-75%
4-Stars: 76-89%
5-Stars: 90-100%

Honestly though, if you're really concerned about ranking systems, you're better off using PO or Showdown. They have a ladder system in each teir you can look at to challenge people you'll know put a lot of effort into getting where they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gates
Elite 4

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 am

I don't care about a laddering system, pokemon obviously isn't a serious, balanced or competitive player versus player game. I remember I brought a moxie ddance Salamence to Ito's fire gym and nearly 5-0 him, does that mean Ito is bad? I was just adding my thoughts on the idea. I actually really like your idea of win to loss ratios and think its a good idea, just not for gyms. Maybe for tournaments we hold here? I don't know what would be the best way to award stars if we do take it on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoneQuincy
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 am

The win/loss% wasn't for gym use. That rank would strictly come from PvP matches between forum members. Counting a gym match would make the system horribly biased against the gym leaders, potentially giving them a much lower rank than the deserve.

Also, if we were to implement this idea I think we had add a block in the profile section under the FC entry for members to post the teir they enjoy battling in most allowing people looking for certain teirs to readily find more opponents as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gates
Elite 4

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

LoneQuincy wrote:
Also, if we were to implement this idea I think we had add a block in the profile section under the FC entry for members to post the teir they enjoy battling in most allowing people looking for certain teirs to readily find more opponents as well.

Sounds good too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrick

Male
Number of posts : 32
Badges :
Friend Code : Sun: 3626-1327-9071
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Actually, my idea was that members could check other trainers rank or lvl so they could find an opponent with their skill level. Not based on badges and stuff, but more on the competitive side and how they battle. It could also help with tournaments and such.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nova
Trainer
Trainer

Male
Number of posts : 347
Symbols :
Friend Code :
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Problem with this whole idea is how people are gonna get ranked. If they feel as if they're too low they're gonna get upset. If everyone is in the 4's and 5's then this whole idea is kind of a waste. Have testers or something. Idk how you guys are gonna figure out ranks but good lukc doing it and not having anyone upset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chomper
Trainer
Trainer

Female
Number of posts : 466
Friend Code : Fuck Wifi.
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:53 pm

LoneQuincy wrote:
I think maybe 1 star per 2 badges, then the 5th upon completion of the E4

Rofl at rating the players based on how well they do vs gym leaders. What the heck does beating a monotype team has to do with your skills? I can bring 5 pokes smash all the gym leaders. And you just need to be half as good as I am and should be able to do the same. If you're not a complete noob and knows what competitive is, shoot me a PM on skype when im on and tell me what type you're battling, and Ill give you a quick 5min team for each type and ill guarantee you'll get a 8 badges in less than 120 turns.

If a leader wins, it doesn't mean the leader is any good, it just mean the challenger is a noob. Not saying leaders are bad but this gym system is a leak, its almost impossible for a challenger thats somewhat decent at the game to lose to a leader. Honestly if you lose to a leader you should get like negative rank.

Wanna get good? you beat rain offense, you beat standard metagames team, you get ranked on PO and win smogon tours, not beat some monotype teams....

Gates wrote:
Earning a gym badge =/= skill, its mostly just an extra activity we offer for members to have fun with. Anybody can Gen a perfect counter team to somebody using six pokes of the same type, or bring a counter team to a rematch after seeing their team the first time.

This is the only statement I agree with in this whole page. About time someone knows what they are talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Light
Rookie

Male
Number of posts : 94
Friend Code : ???
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Well someone is constantly on their period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LoneQuincy
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover

Male

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 am

Gotta love how people reply to the beginning posts instead of reading a thread all the way through >.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pawn
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Male
Number of posts : 715
Symbols :
Friend Code : 0432 5553 5950 - diamond
0819 3370 9446 - white
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 am

^ lol @quincy and adrian

you know, i have an idea, the thing i like about randomly choosing opponents in tourneys is togive you a chance to potentially get the upset win. in the first ever tourney i played i was againt tommy in the first round, people said he was an awesome battler and got nervous. i eventually won that match and went on to place 2nd in the tourney. So really, tournies are something to help you in proving your abilityat adapting.

Especially the tournies i like to throw together, i like to see how a player can adapt to new surroundings/limitations. almost like a cripple learning to get around kinda (bad relation but you get the point.)

My point being, that while Pawn might not be a good battler, hes decent at testing peoples abilities as a trainer to adapt to the unknown. And that maybe winning a Pawn‘s classic tourney might mean something.

And inb4 allen says ou is the only competitive field. When its not. By altering the playing field to something nobody is used to, it keeps everything fair and pretty much shows the true meaning of survival of the fittest. My global tourney was a home run, and several other “unique“ tournies have also shown to be fun, competitive, and popular with the people here.

My point is that a true “allstar“ player should be good in as many different fields as he can get. And that maybe in order for people to test their abilities at adapting, they could have “ranked matches“ battling in one of the many styles i like to use as tournies. Its just a thought and i apologize for the long message, i just really wanted to lay everything on the table
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chomper
Trainer
Trainer

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 pm

LoneQuincy wrote:
Gotta love how people reply to the beginning posts instead of reading a thread all the way through >.>
I was responding to all your posts in 1 post. Bascially im saying your idea of ranking leaders-challenger and that 2 star 1 badge shit is lame. Why dont you try to read my post next time before you attempt to make a shitty comeback.

Outsane <3 wrote:

And inb4 allen says ou is the only competitive field. When its not. By altering the playing field to something nobody is used to, it keeps everything fair and pretty much shows the true meaning of survival of the fittest. My global tourney was a home run, and several other “unique“ tournies have also shown to be fun, competitive, and popular with the people here.

Normally I could careless about with this kid Pawn is saying because he doesnt really know much about the metagame. Its like making fun of someone thats just learning how to walk, but the fact that hes using Allens name in vain is a no no.

You clearly dont know how OU works. Top OU players are thinking on a much higher level than lower tiers player. We know what kind of player our opponent is just by looking at team preview and/or a few turns in a battle. We dont make "overprediction" or whatever excuse losing players use. We know if our opponent is capable of making double switches or if they are one of those type of players who rather stay in and die like a hero than to switch and get hit with a predicted move. OU players adapt and adjust to our opponent level of thinking in every battle, how the hell do you think we win battles when teams are somewhat "generic" in OU? We outhink and outplay our opponents duhhh.....

There isnt any of that in lower tiers, its just diversity, ABC simple pokemon something two 9-year old kids in the park would be doing. I guess it could be competitive but on a much lower degree than OU.

Outsane <3 wrote:

By altering the playing field to something nobody is used to, it keeps everything fair and pretty much shows the true meaning of survival of the fittest.

You sound like this is survival china or some shit and "Keeps everything fair" LOL wtf are you saying? you sound like only VIPs are allow to use scizor or rain offense.

Outsane <3 wrote:

My point is that a true “allstar“ player should be good in as many different fields as he can get. And that maybe in order for people to test their abilities at adapting, they could have “ranked matches“ battling in one of the many styles i like to use as tournies. Its just a thought and i apologize for the long message, i just really wanted to lay everything on the table

Being good at OU will naturally make you good at other tiers. Sadly its not the other way around. I know some of my teammates in the SPL who makes a transition to other tiers such as RU and does really well. So yes we can adjust to any environment we want to. Thats why in the smogon premier league, which is the toughest league in the world, they only care how well you do in OU, because they know that by being good at OU, you can easily be good at the lower tiers and know adjust to tough situations. But if you say im the best RU, NU or FU tiers, they prolly dont give a shit about you.

I guess that makes OU player an "Allstar" because we can be good at any tier we want. Its like playing on professional level and adjusting to play with the little leagues.

You hear this all the time, players say I love RU, NU, UU but I hate OU. The fact is suck and cant get good at OU thus making them hate the tier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mercury

Male
Number of posts : 552
Friend Code : Platinum FC-1548 5398 5890
Pearl FC-0990 1089 5394
SSBB-2278 0801 1238
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Okay this is going somewhat off topic, we know you love OU Allen, not everyone feels the same way, and you can't change the way people think.

Back on topic though, a ranking system could be helpful, but I'd say we do get along quite nicely already, so it most definitely isn't a necessity. What I can say is that it will take a while to be implemented if we decide to add this to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chomper
Trainer
Trainer

Female

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Yall think I like OU, the truth is I could careless about tiers, I only like the competitiveness and OU is the only competitive tier I know.

Believe me if UU , little cup, VGC etc tier have an ego war competitive like OU, Ill hop on that bitch in a heartbeat. But they're not.

I dont do things in life if I see no competition in it. To me the only time im having fun in when I win and winning in a competitive field feels alot better than winning at a field where people are fucktards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MetaknightXYZ
Rookie

Male
Number of posts : 51
Friend Code : 4943-3559-6548 black 2 FC https://www.youtube.com/user/Metaknightxyz/featured is my channel, check out my videos and subscribe ^^

3654-0153-7099 is my white
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 pm

I wouldn't mind testing ppl. ofc u can try me to see why i'd' propose the idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Metaknightxyz/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Idea   

Back to top Go down

New Idea
Page 1 of 1